How Do We Become a Livery Company?
The very essence of a Livery Company is durability and long-term sustainability with the might and support of the City of London behind them. To become a full Company with Livery, we must first satisfy the City of London Court of Alderman that:
- Our profession is not already represented among the Livery companies.
- We have not less than 100 members.
- A significant number of our members are or have been persons engaged in the profession.
- We are fit and proper people to become a Livery Company and can demonstrate some City of London connections.
- We have sufficient funds to enable us to foster our profession.
- We have evidence that we can produce beneficial results for our profession.
- We have the resources and willingness to continue our association indefinitely.
At the same time, we can:
- Set our own rules, fees and activities.
- Protect the financial assets of any charitable trust, Nurses' League or other charitable body related to nursing. These monies will be ring-fenced into the Trust funds of the Guild of Nurses or a future Nurses’ Livery Company and will be safeguarded for their original purpose as regulated by the Charities Commission. This ensures that these resources can never be lost but will always be protected in perpetuity for their original purpose. In this way, together with additional funds raised by the Guild, it will be possible to continue the support of nurses in need and to contribute to the education and development of nurses in the future.
What Next ?
We are just starting out and we need your help to take us to the next stage.
This is an ambitious task but one that leaves a legacy behind us for all generations of nurses to come and rightly places the nursing profession with the other noble professions who are part of the Livery movement. We know that there are thousands of nurses who share our aims, want to be part of the future for nursing and would like to be involved. You can be as active as your time allows. Neither age nor geographical location is a barrier to joining us.
If you would like to become a member of the Guild of Nurses and support us with this exciting work, please go to the Join Us section of this website and complete a Membership Application form.